Green Bins Explained
Yard waste recycling is the unsung hero of recycling programs. Putting waste into your green bin at home or work is a great way to divert waste from the landfill.
This page explains what materials should go in the green bins.
This recycling loop starts by putting your yard trimmings in a green waste container. Clean green materials are taken to county facilities where they're processed and ground into mulch. The loop is completed when you use that mulch around your plants to return nutrients to the soil.
Give your yard waste a second chance at life - Recycle it!
What can I put in the Green Bin?
Green waste consists of leaves, grass clippings, other yard trimmings, and plant materials. No food waste, wood ash, soil, or old plant pots and hoses, please! Some types of plants are unacceptable, too. Learn more by reading our Green Waste Do's and Don'ts. Here's the short version:
- Grass clippings (but you can also leave these on the lawn)
- Small branches
No (Trash these):
- Palm fronds
- Pampas grass
- Animal waste
- Plastic bags or pots
- Dirt, rocks, or smelly socks!
Fibrous plants should not be thrown into green waste containers, since they jam the grinders at our facilities that are used to produce mulch.
Our Greenwaste Songs!
We also have Award Winning Songs that can help you figure out what can and can't go in your green waste bin. You'll need Windows Media Player or a similar program to listen to them:
What if I self-haul?
The sites listed below accept yard waste, but you'll have to pay a fee. For instance, at the South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station, a load of clean yard waste is $28 per ton. That's a lot less than trash disposal though!
If you have any questions about yard waste recycling, please contact us or call (805) 882-3624.
Where to go
Santa Barbara Area (3)
Goleta & UCSB Area (1)
- *South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Santa Ynez Valley (1)
- *Santa Ynez Valley Recycling and Transfer Station — 4004 Foxen Canyon Road
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (1)
- City of Lompoc Landfill (Scalehouse) — Avalon Rd (south end)
Santa Maria Valley (5)
- Bedford Enterprises, Inc. — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 East Main Street
- Engel and Gray, Inc. — 745 West Betteravia Road
- Santa Maria Area Recycling Terminal (SMART) — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
Cuyama Valley (2)
April 25, 2015
May 01, 2015
May 02, 2015
May 09, 2015
- Construction & Demolition (C & D) Debris Recycling
- Food Scraps
- Home Composting
- Manure Recycling Program
- Mulch Program
- Untreated Wood & Pallets Recycling
January 28, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Electronics
July 07, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
May 12, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
May 05, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
April 15, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
February 13, 2014 by Tom Chiarodit - Yard Waste
December 01, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
May 10, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Yard Waste
May 24, 2012 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
February 23, 2012 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
May 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
April 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Recycle
December 01, 2010 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
September 09, 2009 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste