Hazardous Waste Warning
Wastes in this section are dangerous to you and the environment. Handle them carefully and dispose of them properly.
Legally, households may not transport more than 15 gallons of wet or 125 pounds of dry hazardous materials. Read about the regulation.
Needles and Syringes (a.k.a "Sharps")
Ouch! No one wants to get stuck with your old sharps. Keep all sharps and disposal containers out of reach of children. Do not attempt to bend or break any needle or syringe, and do not try to replace the cap on needles.
NEW! Free Mail-Back Containers Offered by MarBorg, Waste Management, & E.J. Harrison!
For residential customers living in the unincorporated area of Santa Barbara County and in the cities of Buellton, Carpinteria, Goleta, Santa Barbara, and Solvang, MarBorg Industries, Waste Management, and E.J. Harrison & Sons now provide free, postage-paid mail-back containers for home-generated sharps. To order a container, simply call your hauler. Visit our Waste Hauler page for contact information.
What are sharps?
Home-generated sharps, or simply "sharps", are needles, syringes with needles, and disposable lancets like the type diabetics use to test their insulin levels.
What's the proper way to store my sharps?
Please collect your sharps in an approved container made of rigid, thick-walled plastic. The containers should be clearly marked with a biohazards label.
Free sharps containers are available from the County but only at the County Clinic locations listed below. Otherwise, containers can be purchased at local pharmacies and through medical supply companies. Examples are included in the listings below.
Where can I dispose of my sharps?
It is illegal to put sharps (even if properly contained) in the trash. Use a mail-back program or take your sharps to one of the locations listed below. You can also download our sharps brochure for more information.
Where to go
Carpinteria Area (1)
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, Carpinteria Clinic — 931 Walnut Avenue
Santa Barbara Area (3)
- Caldwell Pharmacy — 235 West Pueblo Street
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, Franklin Clinic — 1136 East Montecito Street
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, Santa Barbara Clinic — 315 Camino del Remedio, Room 117
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (1)
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, Lompoc Clinic — 301 North "R" Street
Santa Maria Valley (3)
- City of Santa Maria Household Hazardous Waste Facility — 2065 East Main Street
- Marian Medical Center — 1400 East Church Street
- Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, Santa Maria Clinic — 2115 South Centerpointe Parkway
Outside Santa Barbara County (9)
- Earth911.com - Information Only — 1375 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 140
- EnviroMed Safety and Compliance
- GRP & Associates, Inc. — 218 10th Avenue North
- Medasend Biomedical, Incorporated — 12340 Seal Beach Boulevard, #239
- Sharps Compliance, Inc. — SCI Mail Sharps Disposal System, 9220 Kirby Drive, Suite 500
- Stericycle, Incorporated
- Waste Management Incorporated, Think Green from Home
- Waste and Compliance Management, Inc. — 6054 Corte del Cedro
- XMED Medical Waste Disposal, Inc — 2126 Metro Circle
November 13, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
September 29, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
June 24, 2014 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
June 16, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
April 17, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
April 01, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
February 11, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
December 20, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
October 02, 2013 by Alan Nakashima - Electronics
September 20, 2013 by Alan Nakashima - Electronics
April 09, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Policies
April 01, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
December 10, 2012 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 13, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
February 27, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
September 20, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics