Hard plastics #1 and #2 can be recycled in your commingled recycling container at your home, business, apartment, or school.
You can also recycle them at locations listed below.
Plastics #1 and #2 are the most common types of plastic containers. They are also the most likely to have a California Redemption Value (CRV) associated with them. Check out our CRV page for more information.
What do the numbers mean?
Numbers identify what type of plastic it is, and they're important when the materials get recycled. Click the plastic type below to learn more about each type and what it's commonly used for.
#1 - PET or PETE
- Full Name: Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Usually clear or green, glossy, rigid containers that sink in water
- Clear and green soda bottles
- Cooking oil bottles, peanut butter jars
- Salad dressing bottles and other food and drink containers
#2 - HDPE
Do I need to remove the caps?
Don't worry about it. Even though plastic containers often have plastic tops with different colors or of a different plastic type, they can be recycled together.
Where can I find more tips for recycling plastics #1 and #2?
How do I get the CRV?
The California Refund Value is available for beverage containers. Some of the sites below are buyback centers, but not all of them. Check out our CRV Page for details, but if you see "California Refund Value" on a location listed below, it should be a buyback center. Redeem away!
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (2)
Carpinteria Area (1)
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6355 — 1018 Casitas Pass Road
Santa Barbara Area (4)
Goleta & UCSB Area (5)
Santa Ynez Valley (5)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (5)
Santa Maria Valley (10)
- Bedford Enterprises, Inc. — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 East Main Street
- Larrabee Brothers Recycling Center — 815 South Blosser Road
- Nexcycle/CVS Pharmacy — 4852 South Bradley Road
- Nexcycle/Spencers Fresh Markets — 3580 Orcutt Road
- Nexcycle/Vons #301 — 817 East Main Street
- S Earth Recycling, LLC — 770 Guadalupe Street
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
- rePlanet La Chiquita — 1635 North Broadway
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6348 — 2320 South Broadway
Cuyama Valley (2)
Outside Santa Barbara County (3)
- Earth911.com - Information Only — 3481 Plano Parkway
- RecycleMatch — 3375 Westpark Drive, Suite 321
- Waste Management Incorporated, Think Green from Home
- California Refund Value (CRV) Beverage Container Recycling
- Plastic Bags Recycling
- Plastic Trash
- Plastics #1 and #2 Recycling
- Plastics #3 - #7 Recycling (no Styrofoam)
- Plastics Recycling
- Recycling FAQs
- Why Recycle?
November 09, 2015 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
September 25, 2015 by Carlyle Johnston - Recycle
August 25, 2015 by Carlyle Johnston - Policies
June 15, 2015 by Carlyle Johnston - Policies
January 28, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Electronics
October 03, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
September 19, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Trash
February 02, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
October 06, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Policies
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Recycle