Reusing Packaging Materials
Envelopes, bubble wrap, Styrofoam peanuts, air packets, and cardboard boxes are easily reused at home. Save them for birthdays and holidays!
If you have too much of these materials on hand, take them to one of the locations below.
Shipping businesses want your packaging materials. No really, they do! Every item you give them is one they don't have to buy themselves. Some examples include:
- Cardboard Boxes
- Styrofoam Peanuts (Note that food-contaminated styrofoam is trash)
- Occasionally Styrofoam Framing
- Air Packets (call and check)
- Bubble Wrap
Make sure all materials are clean, free of tape, and suitable for reuse. Loose peanuts should be bagged. When in doubt, call the location ahead of time to confirm whether they'll accept the material.
What about damaged or dirty packaging materials?
How can I reduce packaging waste?
Everything we buy seems to come in a cardboard box filled with styrofoam, dipped in plastic, and wrapped in a bag. Read our Reduce Tips page for helpful hints.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (2)
Santa Barbara Area (9)
- Explore Ecology, Art From Scrap Reuse Store — 302 E Cota St
- Mail Box Express — 133 East De La Guerra
- Montecito Executive Services aka UPS Authorized Shipper — 1482 East Valley Road
- Santa Barbara Pack and Post — 3463 State Street
- The Mailbox — 5142 Hollister Avenue
- The Packaging Store — 126 East Haley Street, Suite #A-4
- The United Parcel Service (UPS) Store — 315 Meigs Road, Suite A
- The United Parcel Service (UPS) Store — 3905 State Street, Suite 7
- The United Parcel Service (UPS) Store — 1187 Coast Village Road
Goleta & UCSB Area (3)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (2)
Santa Maria Valley (4)
Outside Santa Barbara County (5)