Most hard plastics #3 - #7 can be recycled in your commingled recycling container at your home, business, apartment or school.
You can also recycle them at the locations below.
Even though these plastics are less common than plastics #1 and #2, they're still recyclable at home. That being said, some important exceptions are listed below.
#3 - PVC
#4 - LDPE
#5 - PP
#6 - PS
#7 - Other
- These plastics are often specially made and contain many types of individual plastics. Even these are recyclable in your blue bin.
- Tupperware and reusable drinking bottles
- 3- and 5-gallon water bottles and juice bottles
What plastics aren't recyclable?
What about hard plastic without a number?
Most of these would be classified as #7, so throw them into your recycling bin.
How clean should my plastic containers be?
Fairly clean is good; free of residue is best. This is primarily to protect paper in your recycling bin from being contaminated. However, it's important for the plastic as well.
Do I need to remove the caps?
Don't worry about it. Even though plastic containers often have plastic tops that are different in color or are made from a different plastic type, they can be recycled together.
What about plastic bags?
What about compostable or biodegradable plastic?
Compostable plastic is not recyclable. It is designed to be composted at commercial composting facilities. For most areas in the county, compostable plastic is considered trash; however, if you compost at home and have a hot pile, you can try discarding the compostable plastic there.
How do I get the CRV?
The California Redemption Value is available for beverage containers. Some of the sites below are buyback centers, but not all of them. Check out our CRV Page for details, but if you see "California Redemption Value" on a location listed below, it should be a buyback center. Redeem away!
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (2)
Carpinteria Area (1)
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6355 — 1018 Casitas Pass Road
Santa Barbara Area (5)
- *South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
- MarBorg Industries — 119 North Quarantina Street
- MarBorg Industries' Recycling /ABOP Center — 725 Cacique Street
- Santa Barbara Iron and Metal Recyclers — 709 East Gutierrez Street
- South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Goleta & UCSB Area (6)
- *South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
- Albertsons — 7127 Hollister Avenue
- MarBorg Industries Recycling/ABOP Center — 20 David Love Place
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6354 — 7127 Hollister Avenue, #27
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6357 — 5801 Calle Real
- rePlanet/Isla Vista Market — 939 Embarcadero del Mar
Santa Ynez Valley (4)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (5)
Santa Maria Valley (10)
- Bedford Enterprises, Inc. — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 East Main Street
- Larrabee Brothers Recycling Center — 815 South Blosser Road
- Nexcycle/CVS Pharmacy — 4852 South Bradley Road
- Nexcycle/Spencers Fresh Markets — 3580 Orcutt Road
- Nexcycle/Vons #301 — 817 East Main Street
- S Earth Recycling, LLC — 770 Guadalupe Street
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
- rePlanet La Chiquita — 1635 North Broadway
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6348 — 2320 South Broadway
Cuyama Valley (2)
Outside Santa Barbara County (3)
- Earth911.com - Information Only — 1375 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 140
- RecycleMatch — 3375 Westpark Drive, Suite 321
- Waste Management Incorporated, Think Green from Home
- Plastic Trash
- Plastics #1 and #2 Recycling
- Plastics #3 - #7 Recycling (no Styrofoam)
- Plastics Recycling
- Recycling FAQs
- Why Recycle?
August 25, 2015 by Carlyle Johnston - Policies
June 15, 2015 by Carlyle Johnston - Policies
January 28, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Electronics
November 12, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
October 03, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
September 19, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Trash
February 02, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
October 06, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Policies
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Recycle